Medical Billing & Payroll Specialist
Mindful Soul Center for Wellbeing is a growing mental health practice in South Jersey. We are looking for an organized, detail-oriented person with excellent communication skills to fill the role of Medical Billing & Payroll Specialist.
The Billing & Payroll Specialist is responsible for timely and accurate billing and payroll processes to ensure an efficient and service-oriented business office for clients and employees of Mindful Soul Center for Wellbeing.
The Billing & Payroll Specialist will continually look for innovative system enhancements for work flow and task management. They will consistently review and reduce AR with daily billing and collection operations.
The Billing & Payroll Specialist will monitor and track clinical staff’s adherence to client hour requirements, use of sick and/or PTO, and completion of documentation necessary for billing and payroll. They will support all aspects of the payroll function including processing time sheets, running weekly payroll, and reporting.
Reports to: Owner and/or Clinical Director, or Assigned Clinical Team Lead.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent, Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Billing and/or Human Resources preferred
- 3+ Years Medical Billing/Accounts Receivable Experience
- 2+ Years HR/Payroll Experience
- Strong Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT Codes relevant to Mental/Behavioral Health
- General Knowledge of billing for Aetna and third party payers affiliated with Aetna
- Technical Skills: Experience with CMS 1500 forms, Navinet, EHR (Simple Practice preferred), Google Systems including: Drive, Docs, Sheets, & Hangouts, and Gusto
- Problem Solving/Analysis: Strong analytical thinking and self-motivated.
- Interpersonal Skills: a team player with a positive attitude that works effectively with clients, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Organization & Time Management Skills: maintains high volume productivity level for essential functions, detail oriented and timely delivery of projects, able to prioritize tasks based on urgency, maintain to-do list, know when to ask for assistance based on workload.
- Communication Skills: Strong computer, oral, and written communication.
- Customer Service Skills: superior listening skills, professional demeanor and appropriate firmness.
- Positive conflict resolution skills: responds promptly to client needs, able to handle difficult client interactions relative to sensitive billing issues.
- Flexibility & Growth Mindset: holds the belief that skills can be developed through hard work, effective strategies, and input from others. Receptive to collaboration, feedback, and innovation.
Hours, Environment, and Equipment:
This is a part-time position with a base schedule of 20 hours per week, M-F, with regular and predictable on-site attendance required. There might be occasion for additional hours to be added to the schedule. This position operates in a professional office environment. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, printer/scanner, filing cabinet, and fax machine.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- In accordance with established billing and collection procedures, performs a variety of tasks to collect and document payments due and received to Mindful Soul Center for Wellbeing on a timely basis and to minimize outstanding accounts.
- Update specific practice data requested by supervisor or practice owner.
- Generates bills to clients/payers based on established fee schedules for services rendered.
- Issues superbill statements for clients.
- Post and reconcile electronic and manual payments for accurate fee reimbursement.
- Reconcile cash, check, and credit card payments with clinical staff’s reporting and submission of client payments to ensure accurate client account balances and accurate accounting for payroll.
- Maintains client accounts in EHR to accurately reflect charges and payments received.
- Efficient with resolving insurance denials, underpayments, and collecting outstanding balances.
- Provide insurance verification assistance to scheduling team.
- Act as a back-up to scheduling staff as needed.
- Maintain task to-do list and calendar system to automate flow of follow-up needed to track pre-determined payment arrangements, denials, and other outstanding client balances.
- Communicates promptly and clearly with clinical staff, clients, client representatives or parent/guardians, insurance and third party payers regarding credit/balance, delinquent accounts, or changes in insurance plan or copay amounts.
- Work independently with knowledge of payor policies, coding requirements and ability to effectively read and understand payor explanation of benefits.
- Maintain good client relations and provide customer service in line with the issues and complaints raised by clients.
- Work in accordance with the practice’s standards, policies, and procedures along with government regulations and standards.
- Complete, interpret, and share electronic remittance advice (ERA) reports, accounts receivable aging reports (A/R), payroll reports, and other reports related to billing and payroll processes.
- Manage office supply orders and assist in maintaining a clean and welcoming therapeutic environment for clients.
- Audit employee time sheets for accuracy, input hours into payroll system, and run bi-weekly payroll.
- Collect, calculate, and enter data necessary for payroll processing including but not limited to hours worked, paid and unpaid time off, sick time, and changes in pay status.
- Researches and executes any payroll requirements, including state, local and federal taxes, Social Security, unemployment, disability, pay rules, etc. Studies existing and new legislation; enforces adherence to requirements; advises management on needed actions.
- Works with Operations Manager to assist with onboarding new hires, complete employment verifications and information requests.
- Supports any payroll related internal or external audits.
- Addresses any questions or requests related to payroll. Troubleshoots and resolves any discrepancies.
- Other projects may be assigned at the discretion of the practice owner.
- Responds to and assists in preparing external requests for medical records.
Interested applicants can submit resume and cover letter: firstname.lastname@example.org